Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Tuning Up A Century Old Dresser - With Roller Guides

On 4/9/2016 9:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The drawer knobs were a little loose, so I removed the "screws"
(nope!)
planning to add some glue and toothpicks to tighten them back up. It
turns out that the "screws" are actually bolts that thread into metal
inserts in the knobs. The inserts have a pair of points that dig into
the drawer front to prevent them from turning. Well, that's the theory
anyway.

http://imgur.com/0nhHOKd

The problem is that once the knobs get loose, they spin and the points

carve a circular groove in the drawer front leaving nothing for the

points to hold onto. Some of the inserts are also stripped, so I have a

some work to do on the knobs.

The inserts in the knobs look like standard modern day Tee-nuts. Don't
know when they were invented, but the two pin ones are older than the 4
pin nuts. At any rate, you shouldn't need the pins at all to stop
spinning. Current day knobs just tighten down and don't spin. If these
don't tighten down enough to stop spinning, I'd think the bolt is too
long, or the knob is spinning around the tee-nut. If spinning around the
tee-nut some epoxy should fix it.

The biggest problem with the dresser is that the bottoms of the long
drawers sag a bit (actually, a lot) so I may need to add some "beams"
to flatten them out. (suggestions welcome)

http://imgur.com/Y7aKfPU

The picture indicates the bottom is either nailed to the bottom, or
fitted in groves on 3 sides, and open/nailed to the back, so removal
should be easy. I would remove the bottom, flip it over and screw it
wherever nails were used previously to attach it.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com