Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Cut an accurate 1/2" square hole through 1/4" aluminum withouttools?

John Doe wrote:
I need to cut a 1/2" square through 1/4" aluminum. It doesn't have to be
centered, but the dimensions of the hole need to be correct.

I'd like to use a router type tool that I made, but the aluminum would have
to be perfectly square.

Any tricky way to do that?

Thanks.

No way to cut a square hole with a round bit. Not possible. But making
SQUARE holes with no rounded areas is done every day.

You have two options - Drill a round hole and use a file, chisel, broach
or EMD to make it square.
Or used a punch and die to make it.

That being said, What will this hole need to do? You may actually want a
square shaped hole with radiused corners to reduce the potential for
cracks to start.

--
Steve W.