Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you guys get your teen kids to work with you around the house?

Muggles wrote:
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 03:40:27 -0000 (UTC), Harold R
wrote:
I can't get my teenage son or daughter to work with
me around the house. They're missing out on a lot,
'cuz they won't learn.

I guess I brought 'em up wrong, but, they're good kids
(otherwise).

Anyway, just wondering if you have hints?

I can force them, of course, and I can pay them, of
course, but they don't even "like" working around the
house.

I'm talking things like cleaning the pool, mowing the
lawn, fixing the pumps, raking the leaves, etc.

Do you have any tricks and suggestions?

I guess I should make it "fun" but some of these
things aren't really fun (like weeding) no matter what
I can think of.

Just wondering if you have suggestions.

Well, are they just barely teens, or older teens?

What is your usual method of discipline?

What motivates them, and what life skills do they lack?

Are you old enough (don't answer , rhetorical) to remember the
grasshopper/ant cartoon where the g'hopper goes around singin' "Oh the world
owes me a livin' "? The kids these days have been indoctrinated to expect
that . From Big Brother spit .

--
Snag
TANSTAAFL