Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT beetroot juice

On 06/04/2016 13:13, Stuart Noble wrote:
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood
pressure. Having had some unpleasant experiences with the legal high
known as beta blockers (and now also with amlodipine), I'm determined to
get off medication altogether. I've got me a Nutri Ninja but I hate
beetroot, so anyone got any alternatives? Not that keen on kale either
as it happens :-)

In one of the areas of interest to me I see reports of people who have
all combinations of high, normal and low blood pressure and pulse. The
common factor is a thyroid issue.

Insufficient thyroid hormone can result in low OR high blood pressure.

Insufficient or excess thyroid hormone can result in high pulse.

Amlodipine can cause thyroid disorders.

http://www.jebmh.com/latest-articles.php?at_id=1017

Beta-blockers can affect thyroid hormones.

My own experience was that I had relatively low blood pressure for many
years and that changed into a fairly middling value when adequately treated.

So I recommend that you ask for a thyroid test. (That opens up cans of
worms as a TSH test on its own is inadequate, in my view, to assess
thyroid status. But that is all you will probably get.)

In my book the flavour of beetroot is OK but it is so sweet! A borscht
in which the beetroot has been fermented helps with sourness and reduced
sweetness. Our typical small-ish "salad" beetroot are best avoided and
some larger, older, less sweet ones used. Even just making it with some
vinegar and pepper helps!

--
Rod