Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT beetroot juice

On 06/04/2016 13:50, michael adams wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood pressure. Having had
some unpleasant experiences with the legal high known as beta blockers (and now also
with amlodipine), I'm determined to get off medication altogether. I've got me a Nutri
Ninja but I hate beetroot, so anyone got any alternatives? Not that keen on kale either
as it happens :-)

Sorry to hear of your experiences with beta-blockers. It appears I'm
among the lucky ones having never experienced any adverse side
effects having been on them for over ten years.

A lot probably depends on how high your unmedicated blood
pressure actually is, although that itself is a minefield - time
of day - whitecoat effect - wide variations in readings etc.
as to whether its advisable to abandon conventional
medication under all but the most extreme circumstances.

Basically for people like me

"During the 4 weeks they were taking the juice, patients in the active supplement
group (whose beetroot juice contained inorganic nitrate) experienced a reduction
in blood pressure of 8/4 mmHg (millimeters of mercury) ."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/288229.php

a reduction of 8mm sys and 4mm dia don't really do much and fall well with the normal
range I get when taking my own readings.

The problem with alternative treatments, certainly with studies
which the make headlines is that their effects are often limited to
fairly specific groups, and often involve unusually large doses.

Of lifestyle in general, for many of us its the usual story. Lose a few
pounds or stones, drink less, less sodium, no smoking.

There's no silver bullets, nutri or otherwise I'm afraid.

michael adams

No silver bullets? Put it this way, I just spent 3 days in hospital with
an ever increasing array of medication being applied to reduce my pulse
rate from the dizzy heights of 125. Just wouldn't shift.

Being back at home for 2 days produced no change, so this morning I
abandoned all medication, including stuff I'd be on for years, and had a
beetroot smoothie instead. 15.00 hrs and my pulse is ranging between 60
and 70. No great believer in alternative mumbo jumbo but.....