Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Tuesday, 5 April 2016 22:08:32 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/04/2016 16:12, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 April 2016 09:51:32 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
harry scribeth thus
On Friday, 1 April 2016 21:14:26 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:47, whisky-dave wrote:

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....

With a new battery! What mileage can it achieve on a single charge when
the battery is a 1 or 2 years old?

Lots of people here rabbiting on with zero knowledge.
My car is 2012, any battery deterioration is undetectable.

Well well Harry, perhaps you've e found a way to reverse chemical ageing
you might get a Nobel prize for that!!....

--
Tony Sayer

Well ****-fer-brains, you don't suppose electric cars are not fitted with range remaining and battery charge condition instruments?
If so you must be really brain dead.

All I have to go on is the instruments fitted to the car.
The battery "fullness" indicator hasn't changed much on the regular journeys I make.
The "pips" disappear at the same places on a journey that they always have.

I always charge the battery at optimum time/conditions.

You might find it informative to see if there is a smart phone app for
talking directly to the car's diagnostics. My friend with the Leaf found
that there is a world of difference between what the in car displays
tell him, and what the sensors are actually recording before
"processing" by the car.

The cars instrumentation displays as much as it measures.
So interpretation of the sensors won't tell you anything more.
The physical condition of any battery can only be determined by completely charging and discharging the battery and measuring voltages and currents.

I don't know the operational principle of the panel instrumentation, ie instantaneous charge/discharge current, power remaining in the battery and range remaining.
It seems to be unconventional.

The instantaneous power is not calibrated and I don't know if it's linear or not. But gives a good indication of what's happening and (un)economic driving.

The range remaining computer is useless.

The power remaining in the battery seems to be spot on AFAICT.