Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Saturday, 2 April 2016 09:23:21 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
harry wrote
Another Dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Another Dave wrote

But what would be a rough estimate for the
true cost of a charge (i.e. when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a
conventional car) you would need to take into account
the tax levied on petrol and diesel but not on electricity.

Hardly. Unless you had a supply of tax free petrol, etc.

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope
it does) the government would have to tax electricity used to
charge cars to maintain its revenue. I don't know how this
would work but I'm certain that it would happen.

They are working towards a black GPS box in everyone's car.

Bull**** they are.

We were doing that here 15 years ago, but was stopped due to the high costs
or what was needed, in those days accerleometers were expensive and also recording the information was expensive when retriving it.
But nowadays with accletometrs+gyros+GPS costing less than a beer
and most having them in their phones dedecated black boxes aren't really required.