Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 10:53:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2016 11:43:41 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 01:00:29 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

To use on glue tape

It works but it is tough on the iron. Be sure it is one your wife
doesn't want. It also does not work in the gap like a real carpet
iron. You need to iron the back.

How hot would a housewife iron get? Likely would be a messy job.
IIRC, a carpet iron reaches ~ 1500ºF. A much cleaner method.

I had an old iron in my shop, I turned it up as high as it would go
and let it sit for a while to let it cook, be sure you move it around
every once in a while because some will time out. I laid down the
carpet I wanted to seam face down, put the tape on it and ironed it
in. It worked OK.
I still had a few smaller pieces and I made a rug for my golf cart
with one seam and it has been beat to death without coming apart.
Bear in mind, carpet has a grain so when you seam it, be sure you line
it up right.