Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default For those with Fluke Handheld DVMs

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 23:42:14 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Fluke used to sell replacement battery packs, so there was no
warranty. These did not damage anything, they simply loose the ability
to take a charge of the decades. The problem is that you can not use
the meter from AC, since the battery powered version has an inverter
that needs the NiCads on the input side to operate. Look at the
schematic of a model 8050, and read the manula where it warns you not to
use that version with dead or missing battery packs.

Thanks. You just explained why my 8050a was acting rather oddly on
AC. When I replaced the battery pack, it magically started working
correctly. I was guessing a loose wire or component, but never
suspected that anything required a working battery:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fluke+8050a+battery
I guess I should have read the manual.

--
Jeff Liebermann