Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default For those with Fluke Handheld DVMs

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:17:54 -0400, ehsjr Gave us:

On 3/13/2016 11:58 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

I have 4 brand new DVMs and one uses a battery pack up in 3 days flat,
turned OFF! I did some net searching and found a forum where it was
discovered that Fluke put a cheap Toshiba supercap in the meter with a
less than 2 year lifespan and AT the same voltage they were charging it
to and everyone was seeing leaking.

I knew right away that was the cause of my problem. So I bought a
higher voltage, bigger supercap with nearly the same footprint and a
slightly higher profile, and stuck it in the BAD METER! and fixed that
pup. It takes minimal GRINDING (yes, I said grinding) to make it clear,
but it will last for years without leaking since it has a higher voltage
rating and the meter will hold the date longer if the batteries do die
down. They have been in it for two weeks and no depletion, so that
nailed the problem.

I photo-documented the whole process in case anyone else has a Fluke
DVM that eats batteries for breakfast like they are going out of style.
I would have made a video, but this works. Feel free to critique or
make good use of as you wish.

http://imgur.com/a/jPlow

Brilliant! Thanks.

I wish I had made a video, but all there is are the pics, so one has
to be a bit intuitive and look at the file names as well. I also put
metadata info into the file, but imgur may not take the files as they
get uploaded and my create their own versions sans metadata.

I like when I can hover over one of my Excel spreadsheets/workbooks
with my mouse and a wealth of info (which I inserted) about the file and
what it does appears before ever opening the file. The idiots at MS did
get a few things right.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 10:37:10 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:17:54 -0400, ehsjr Gave us:

On 3/13/2016 11:58 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

I have 4 brand new DVMs and one uses a battery pack up in 3 days flat,
turned OFF! I did some net searching and found a forum where it was
discovered that Fluke put a cheap Toshiba supercap in the meter with a
less than 2 year lifespan and AT the same voltage by this behavior.

Just an FYI: Flukes generally carry a lifetime warranty - and this expedient would void that warranty. A more serious failure would then render the unit worthless and without resort to Fluke.

Just keep this in mind.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Just an FYI: Flukes generally carry a lifetime warranty -"

Really. Does that apply to the 8000 series ? Buddy of mine has one the batteries leaked all over and now it acts erratic. We have NOT modified the unit, just took out the batteries. If that is under warranty hell, we'll send it in !
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eveready or Duracell, either will replace the unit at no cost. Chinese crap, no. Fluke would call that negligence, and rightly so.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 11:59:02 AM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:

The last duracell battery leakage claim I filed resulted in getting a
prepaid credit card. Had to get an all new flashlight, but it worked out
in the end. Not sure how they deal with more expensive stuff like test
equipment.

My wife once upon a time collected Fiesta Ware pottery. As you (should) know, back in the day that Fiesta first started, many of the glazes used radioactive salts for certain colors including orange, green and a few others. So, I acquired a geiger counter, military surplus, for checking that possibility. Not that the stuff was passively harmful, just that one would not wish to serve food in those pieces that were radioactive. Well, the (Eveready) batteries leaked. I sent it off to Eveready, and about a week later, received a check for $357.32 (I DO remember that number), which represented the cost of that unit when new plus the cost of my shipping the item to them. That, along with a very nice note suggesting that batteries should be removed from expensive test equipment when it is not in use to avoid inconvenience. I went back to the same source I got the first counter, and replaced it with a Navy surplus device for $75, including shipping. I gave that to my son-in-law, as he and his dad collect items that involve glazes and glass, and I now have a Civil Defense kit including scintillators and several other testers that I purchased NIB at a municipal "yard sale" for $25. Works nicely.

I now also remove batteries from my "good" stuff if it is going down for more than a week or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta_(dinnerware)

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21/03/16 23:04, wrote:
"Just an FYI: Flukes generally carry a lifetime warranty -"

Really. Does that apply to the 8000 series ? Buddy of mine has one the batteries leaked all over and now it acts erratic. We have NOT modified the unit, just took out the batteries. If that is under warranty hell, we'll send it in !

http://en-us.fluke.com/support/warranties/

"Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty

"Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues
manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten
years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products
manufactured after October 1996"

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 8:18:27 AM UTC-4, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 21/03/16 23:04, wrote:
"Just an FYI: Flukes generally carry a lifetime warranty -"

Really. Does that apply to the 8000 series ? Buddy of mine has one the batteries leaked all over and now it acts erratic. We have NOT modified the unit, just took out the batteries. If that is under warranty hell, we'll send it in !

http://en-us.fluke.com/support/warranties/

"Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty

"Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues
manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten
years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products
manufactured after October 1996"

--
Adrian C

All true. But my direct experience with Fluke is that they will send on the "next best thing" when a piece is unfixable. NOTE: they have fixed, also in my direct experience, some pretty sick puppies.

Zippo will repair their lighters similarly, even if it is only a strike wheel that remains of the old device. Their factory tour (Bradford, PA) goes by the repair room where these lighters come in - and the dedicated (in every way) staff that does the repairs. A fascinating operation. Many here could learn a few things. I certainly did.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

All true. But my direct experience with Fluke is that they will send on
the "next best thing" when a piece is unfixable. NOTE: they have fixed,
also in my direct experience, some pretty sick puppies.

Yeah I don't think the warranty they lived by early on was anything to write
home about. Somewhere in time I dropped some good coin on a 97 scope meter
and within 3 years of owning it, the backlight for the display went out, the
battery pack didn't charge anymore and eventually (using it as a bench meter
of sorts at that point) the charging wart failed.

They wanted somewhere around $300 for a repair on everything and I just
didn't think it was worth it. I found another ac adapter at a hamfest
(remember those?) and continued to use it but these days it's in a box
buried in the basement somewhere.

Zippo will repair their lighters similarly, even if it is only a strike
wheel that remains of the old device. Their factory tour (Bradford, PA)
goes by the repair room where these lighters come in - and the dedicated
(in every way) staff that does the repairs. A fascinating operation. Many
here could learn a few things. I certainly did.

This is what I really wanted to comment on, those guys really do that.

I had a plain chrome lighter (but engraved) someone gave me years ago and
pretty much was a daily use item, always carried it around and in use. It
didn't "click" anymore, that steel spring thing was broke, the hinge was
loose (you needed 2 hands to use it at that point) and the fence/wheel was
blackend with use along with the wheel being wobbly.

One day while trying to slide it back in my pocket I missed, it bounced off
the wood stairs I was on and fell over the edge onto concrete basement
stairs.

At the bottom it was in peices, everything just fell apart.

So I knew about the "no matter what" lifetime warranty, filled out the form
from the website and mailed it in. I figure they would say something like,
are you nuts or something but surprise, surprise, in a about 3 weeks it was
returned, totally repaired and even came in a new box and old parts thrown
in as well.

No charge.

I mean it's just a lighter but I can't think of another company or product
that is backed up by a real lifetime warranty like that. Someone should give
Zippo an award or something.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote: On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at
[...]

That's a good practice. They only leak when you don't expect it. Then
there are always the batteries that are good for a decade past the "good
until" date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta_(dinnerware)

Didn't know red was the radioactive color. I do like that green-ish
radioactive glass from the era of uranium based home products.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, March 25, 2016 at 6:35:32 AM UTC-4, Mark Zacharias wrote:

Couple years back I bought a Micronta 22-206 FET multimeter, virtually "new
old stock".

Well, not quite. While everything looked pristine - Radio Shack branded
batteries had been installed (1975 date code) and just left in there when
the thing was boxed back up.

The batteries, a C-cell and a 9 volt, were totally flat but had never
leaked. Not even a little.

Dodged a bullet on that one.

Mark Z.

This thread lead me to check the battery-included instruments I keep at/near the bench:

B&K LCR meter
Fluke DVM
Transistor Analyzer
ESR Meter
Micronta Digital DVM (travel kit)
RF/AF Signal Injector
Micro Maglite
3D Maglite (AKA "Persuader")

Any one of which could be a significant inconvenience should it fail at a critical time and/or have to go away for a while.

The Geiger counter lives in the closet. It gets used perhaps twice per year.

Ah, well.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

Eveready or Duracell, either will replace the unit at no cost. Chinese crap, no. Fluke would call that negligence, and rightly so.

Peter, the Fluke meters that I've repaired all had GE labeled NiCads.
They were assembled in the form of two packs of two cells that were
soldered together in a pair, and they used some Berg terminals that
snapped onto tiny ball tipped terminal posts. They were approximately C
cell sized, and each pair was in a snap on cover, one on each side of
the line transformer. I have located a supply of new cells from another
OEM, but the wires are hard as a rock, and most of the terminals ar
damaged in the latest batch of Fluke 8050 meters that I received. I have
been unable to locate the part number for the terminals. It isn't listed
in the Fluke manuals. We used that terminal at Microdyne, but I no
longer have any contacts there now that it is part of L3-Com, in Philly.
As far as I know, they dropped support for every product that used that
terminal, as well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 at 4:57:07 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

Send them to Fluke. Betcha you will be pleasantly surprised.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/28/2016 8:48 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Be extra careful with the maglights. Leaked battery swell up and the juice
that comes out will corrode the aluminum and constrict around the battery.
It can be impossible to get the batteries out. I had a Kel-Lite destroyed
that way. Somebody on usenet suggested wrapping the cells in saran wrap
so if they leak you can just slide the whole mess out.

That probably won't help. You have to pull them out and there's nothing
to pull on.
I had a maglite with that problem. I had to saw it in half to get a look
at the markings on the battery. Was Duracell. Sent them a picture.
They sent me the cost of the light.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

[...]

Fluke used to sell replacement battery packs, so there was no
warranty. These did not damage anything, they simply loose the ability
to take a charge of the decades. The problem is that you can not use
the meter from AC, since the battery powered version has an inverter
that needs the NiCads on the input side to operate. Look at the
schematic of a model 8050, and read the manula where it warns you not to
use that version with dead or missing battery packs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 23:42:14 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Fluke used to sell replacement battery packs, so there was no
warranty. These did not damage anything, they simply loose the ability
to take a charge of the decades. The problem is that you can not use
the meter from AC, since the battery powered version has an inverter
that needs the NiCads on the input side to operate. Look at the
schematic of a model 8050, and read the manula where it warns you not to
use that version with dead or missing battery packs.

Thanks. You just explained why my 8050a was acting rather oddly on
AC. When I replaced the battery pack, it magically started working
correctly. I was guessing a loose wire or component, but never
suspected that anything required a working battery:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fluke+8050a+battery
I guess I should have read the manual.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Fluke used to sell replacement battery packs, so there was no
warranty. These did not damage anything, they simply loose the ability
to take a charge of the decades. The problem is that you can not use
the meter from AC, since the battery powered version has an inverter
that needs the NiCads on the input side to operate. Look at the
schematic of a model 8050, and read the manula where it warns you not to
use that version with dead or missing battery packs.

Thanks. You just explained why my 8050a was acting rather oddly on
AC. When I replaced the battery pack, it magically started working
correctly. I was guessing a loose wire or component, but never
suspected that anything required a working battery:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fluke+8050a+battery
I guess I should have read the manual.

You're welcome. I wish the Fluke 8920/8921/8922 true RMS meters (20
MHz upper limit) were as easy to repair and calibrate. I used one at
Microdyne, so I bought one for myself a few years ago. Being able to set
0 dB where you want it, makes gain calculations easy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

On 03/20/2016 8:09 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 10:37:10 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:17:54 -0400, ehsjr Gave us:

On 3/13/2016 11:58 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

I have 4 brand new DVMs and one uses a battery pack up in 3 days flat,
turned OFF! I did some net searching and found a forum where it was
discovered that Fluke put a cheap Toshiba supercap in the meter with a
less than 2 year lifespan and AT the same voltage by this behavior.

Just an FYI: Flukes generally carry a lifetime warranty - and this expedient would void that warranty. A more serious failure would then render the unit worthless and without resort to Fluke.

Just keep this in mind.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Lifetime by Fluke is defined as seven years after they stop production
of the device:

http://en-us.fluke.com/support/warranties/

My 1980s vintage Fluke test gear 9100s, 9010s, etc., is long past their
lifetime warranty.

Otherwise, they would still have to support old vacuum tube based
equipment that they built in 1948. They don't even list the manual for
my Fluke 8050 meters. Luckily, several free archive sites have it in
PDF.

True enough, Fluke (for one) doesn't appear to mind that folks post
their older technical manuals for obsolete equipment. I've hosted their
manuals for almost two decades with no issues at all (Fluke 9010 and
9100 stuff). Data I/O is another, in fact most of the respectable
technical tools company seem to implicitly support the dissemination of
their older info to keep these devices running...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Glad my 8050A doesn't have batteries.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I wish the Fluke 8920/8921/8922 true RMS meters (20
MHz upper limit) were as easy to repair and calibrate."

Holy chit, 20 MHz ? I don't even want to know what those things cost.