Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Sticking attic ladder

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 18:51:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 17:34:53 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Aluminium? My late mother's loft ladder is aluminium. Installed 56
years ago. It became very stiff to operate. I tried silicone; made no
difference. PTFE spray; no difference; 3-in-1 spray, glides better
that I've ever known it. Oil the sliding surfaces, and the hinges at
the top. The only disadvantage is that being aluminium, the sliding
surfaces eventually produce a sort of black paste that gets on your
hands and anything that comes into contact with it when maneuvering
items up into the loft. Needs regular wiping to keep it clean.

Yes aluminium with some sort of black plastic block between the two
sliding sections. I do wonder if it is part by design to stop the
bottom section crashing down once the catch is released. It all must
be very fine tolerances as I can't see anything that should cause
binding. I might just try some WD40 before taking on your suggestion,
or graphite as suggested by Chris.

--
AnthonyL