Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticking attic ladder

The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 17:34:53 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Aluminium? My late mother's loft ladder is aluminium. Installed 56
years ago. It became very stiff to operate. I tried silicone; made no
difference. PTFE spray; no difference; 3-in-1 spray, glides better
that I've ever known it. Oil the sliding surfaces, and the hinges at
the top. The only disadvantage is that being aluminium, the sliding
surfaces eventually produce a sort of black paste that gets on your
hands and anything that comes into contact with it when maneuvering
items up into the loft. Needs regular wiping to keep it clean.

Graphite powder.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes aluminium with some sort of black plastic block between the two
sliding sections. I do wonder if it is part by design to stop the
bottom section crashing down once the catch is released. It all must
be very fine tolerances as I can't see anything that should cause
binding. I might just try some WD40 before taking on your suggestion,
or graphite as suggested by Chris.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Try using some Vaseline where it sticks.
And, I'm not being funny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/16 18:34, AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Just idly found the above on google, so could be irrelevant...

Or, could also be galvanic corrosion between steel and aluminium. A
friend had a particular struggle with that on the aluminium seat post
stuck on his steel bicycle frame. Freed using some ammonia, though that
also corrodes aluminium.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Try using some Vaseline where it sticks.

And, I'm not being funny.

Never thought you were - but I always suspected that your were a bit queer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but
the bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds
and I can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Try using some Vaseline where it sticks.

And, I'm not being funny.

Never thought you were - but I always suspected that your were a bit
queer.

I knew somebody would take the bait.
I've lost count of how many girlfriends I've had.
Can you say the same?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but
the bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds
and I can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Try using some Vaseline where it sticks.

And, I'm not being funny.

Never thought you were - but I always suspected that your were a bit
queer.

I knew somebody would take the bait.
I've lost count of how many girlfriends I've had.
Can you say the same?

Mrs Palmer and her five daughters is the best you get. And I am not being
funny.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Cute.............. very pikey.
But you did not answer my question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2016 20:58, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

I suspect he can count and wouldn't want to show you up even more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 21:30:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Are you sure there is no dust and dirt in the runners? Its always dirty in
lofts.

I took the ladder outside and steam cleaned it (one of those household
handheld units). But it wasn't particularly dirty and is pretty clean
and the binding is quite firm. The loft has been boarded and is not
dirty though obviously there will be bits of crud. I wish I could
take the two bits apart but can't see how, and the locking pin
mechanism is rivetted in which makes it awkward if I wanted to get
that out.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
On 02/04/2016 20:58, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

He lives in a ******** council house in Yorkshire. Do you know where
Yorkshire is? Been there have you???
This is the bully that has assaulted apprentices.
This is the bully that has been cautioned by the police.
He probably has convictions.
This is the big tough guy that caused a live in girlfriend to walk out on
him and turn the gas on the cooker. She was hoping to blow him up.
He is not a nice person.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Pounder can count up to 12 - then he runs out of fingers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
On 02/04/2016 20:58, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
ARW wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message ...
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Bet he has ****ed a lot more than you ever have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 21:47:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I suspect he can count and wouldn't want to show you up even more.

Pounder can count up to 12 - then he runs out of fingers.

On one hand, but if he tried to use the other hand he'd fall over.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2016 19:25, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Try using some Vaseline where it sticks.
And, I'm not being funny.

nah talc is best
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2016 18:34, AnthonyL wrote:
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide
smoothly.

The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the
bottom section seems to have two or three points where it binds and I
can't work out why or how to fix it.

I've tried some silicone spray but the runners are clean anyway.

The ladder is a Youngman New Easyway (sticker says manufactured Week
23/00) similar to

http://www.youngmanaccess.com/uk/vie...siway/31334000

But mine is 100Kg limit.

Just to add to the many suggestions - lithium grease.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/2/2016 7:36 PM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

The Wiki link is not a bad article. Galvanic corrosion tends to show up
where clearances are very small and the environment is wet, so that
bicycle case is an ideal example. But there's much more clearance in a
ladder, and it is dry, and it is not likely to be steel on aluminium.

In the ladder, you probably have aluminium sliding on itself. Buildup of
dirt, wear debris, corrosion products, or galling type damage might
reduce the clearance. I would say the best option would be something
containing mineral oil, so WD40, vaseline, or lithium grease would all
meet the requirement. *Personally* I would go for something in the WD40
family. If it turns out that there are plastic "bearings" between the
two metal parts then silicone or PTFE spray might be better.

PTFE sprays might or might not work well if you have metal to metal
rubbing. It's certainly potentially cleaner. I've heard good reports of
the "WD40" PTFE spray and recently bought a can, but have not tried it yet.

The problem with graphite is getting it to stick to the right places
without using a large amount, and creating a lot of mess. Lock
geometries are much more favourable. *If* you can actually identify the
binding points, you might try a Moly Disulphide spray or grease.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I've heard good reports of the "WD40" PTFE spray and recently bought
a can, but have not tried it yet.

Seems to be working well so far on uPVC multi-point locking, but don't
get it on your hands ... it stinks like a mouldy old flannel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ARW, philip Lane wrote:
My dad has a very old alum loft ladder. _*Worse*_ thing we ever did was to use
Molyslip grease on it! The graphite dries out and is black and gets into all
the grooves, clothes and hands and takes many goes with Polyclens,rags and
brush to clean it off. WD40 works magic for a while then runs down ladder on
to carpet!! And then dries sticky. After a proper clean try cold candle rub
or a FEW drops of 3in1 oil. If you overdo it you will regret it. We have sea
air here now that corrodes the metal quickly. Ladder is in use most days
however. That pays off but the wax helps.Tip: any work on ladder put a sheet
down first or better still taken ladder off (we can, easily) and take into
garden on a nice sunny warmish day.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1120284-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 22:14:05 UTC, philip Lane wrote:
replying to ARW, philip Lane wrote:
My dad has a very old alum loft ladder. _*Worse*_ thing we ever did was to use
Molyslip grease on it! The graphite dries out and is black and gets into all
the grooves, clothes and hands and takes many goes with Polyclens,rags and
brush to clean it off. WD40 works magic for a while then runs down ladder on
to carpet!! And then dries sticky. After a proper clean try cold candle rub
or a FEW drops of 3in1 oil. If you overdo it you will regret it. We have sea
air here now that corrodes the metal quickly. Ladder is in use most days
however. That pays off but the wax helps.Tip: any work on ladder put a sheet
down first or better still taken ladder off (we can, easily) and take into
garden on a nice sunny warmish day.

Useful to know. A lot of people have that website blocked, you're better off coming here (news:uk.d-i-y) via google groups or a newsreader.

NT