Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
You jest, I assume? Read the vast number of posts which state this
happens at maximum BHP.

That's because when people are saying "max acceleration" they're not
saying "max acceleration in any one gear", they're saying "how to get
from one speed to a higher one the quickest".

Then they need to read the original thread that started this.

I did, and what I said is correct. You may think the discussion is still
about one thing, but for most people it's moved on - thread drift is a
perfectly normal thing. You're talking about one thing, everybody else
is talking about something else. Both sides are correct about what
they're talking about, which is why this argument has gone on quite so
long - it's not a physics problem, it's a communication problem.

Do you agree that when the task is to get from one speed to a higher one
the quickest, max power is what you need to aim for, not max torque?

Aim for?

If you now want to talk about getting the best acceleration through the
gears, and where the best change up point is, it would depend on the
individual car and gear ratios. Some with a wide ratio box and not many
gears might get the best results by revving beyond peak power to get the
engine on a decent part of the torque curve on the higher gear. Some may
be better changing up at near enough max BHP.

You could have just said "Yes" - it would have been quicker...