Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I fail to see why you struggle with the concept that, at a given road
speed, you get *more* torque at the driven wheels by running the engine
at max power and using a lower gear than you would by using a higher
gear at the max torque point - assuming constant transmission
efficiency. Seems blindingly obvious to me!

You are assuming that given speed is such that in your chosen gear the
engine can run at the maximum BHP point.

A very narrow set of conditions.

And again you choose to ignore that this discussion was about an engine's
output - not the effect of different gearing.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.