Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article , Clive
George writes
On 31/03/2016 18:05, bert wrote:
In article , Clive
George writes
On 31/03/2016 15:39, bert wrote:

I did a little test with my Defender which has max torque at about 2000
rpm and max power at about 3500 rpm.
Going up the gears and accelerating as fast as I could I never got
anywhere near max power in any gear before I could feel the acceleration
dropping off.

But did changing to a higher gear result in faster acceleration?

Faster compared to what?

Compared to being in the lower gear.

Bearing in mind this is purely seat of the pants stuff, I would say
acceleration initially dropped but then picked up as engine speed moved
back up to and beyond max torque but again tailed off well before max
power.

At 70 in top gear at about 3000 rpm acceleration was quite slow. (max
power is 3500) (This IS a Land Rover we're talking about)
(the answer I'd expect would be "no", hence even though you're feeling
the acceleration drop off, it's still worth staying in the lower gear
and using max power if you want to carry on accelerating as fast as
possible)

No The reason for not staying in the lower gear was because acceleration
was decreasing and well before max power had been reached. I assume this
is because engine speed had moved above max torque and so torque had
decreased.
--
bert