Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:

Which is were we came in. I was talking about accleration *in any one gear*

How often do I have to say it?

No-one disagrees with you that max acceleration in any one gear occurs
at the engine's max torque point.

You jest, I assume? Read the vast number of posts which state this happens
at maximum BHP.

That's because when people are saying "max acceleration" they're not
saying "max acceleration in any one gear", they're saying "how to get
from one speed to a higher one the quickest".

Do you agree that when the task is to get from one speed to a higher one
the quickest, max power is what you need to aim for, not max torque?