Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

I really don't see how you can constantly confuse torque with power in the
same post. It is the torque at the driven wheels which is important - not
the 'power' ie BHP.

I have never confused torque with power!

If you want to maximise the acceleration of the vehicle, you have
*three* independent[1] parameters to play with - engine speed, engine
torque and gearing. Hence my earlier reference to trying to treat a
three dimensional problem as having only two dimensions. If you fix the
gearing - which you seem to want to do - you restrict your options!

I fail to see why you struggle with the concept that, at a given road
speed, you get *more* torque at the driven wheels by running the engine
at max power and using a lower gear than you would by using a higher
gear at the max torque point - assuming constant transmission
efficiency. Seems blindingly obvious to me!

What part of that don't you understand?

[1] Power is not independent because it is the product of engine speed
and torque.
--
Cheers,
Roger