Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:

Which is were we came in. I was talking about accleration *in any one gear*

How often do I have to say it?

No-one disagrees with you that max acceleration in any one gear occurs
at the engine's max torque point.

You jest, I assume? Read the vast number of posts which state this happens
at maximum BHP.

But you seem to be fixated on that point and unable to accept that, at
the corresponding road speed, you can get *greater* acceleration by
using a lower gear and running the engine near to its max power point.

Never ever denied that. But in that lower gear, you will still get better
accelation at the peak torque point, not peak revs.

BHP at the wheels = thrust (lbs) x speed (mph) / 375

OR Thrust = BHP x 375 / speed

So it stands to reason that the more power you can get to the wheels at
a given speed, the greater the thrust and hence acceleration. QED!

I really don't see how you can constantly confuse torque with power in the
same post. It is the torque at the driven wheels which is important - not
the 'power' ie BHP.

I note that you haven't commented on my post about using a continuously
variable transmission to maintain a constant engine speed!

Because the type of transmission is totally irrelevant to my original
point which dealt with the output characteristics of the engine.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.