Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 30/03/2016 23:01, newshound wrote:

Not convinced. Peak power is certainly the place of max speed, I would
have said that peak torque is the place of max acceleration.

fx looks up

I did the math earlier. Peak power is at higher revs, so you can use a
lower gear. This means that the torque at the output of the gearbox is
higher at peak torque.

Like this:

2000 RPM, 400nM, geared down 2:1 to 1000 RPM gives you 400nM.
5000 RPM, 200nM, geared down 5:1 to 1000 RPM gives you 1000nM.

Dave refuses to admit that this means you get better acceleration at
peak power than at peak torque.

And you don't seem to realise that using a different gear for each example
simply confuses the issue.

The only exception is when you are in 1st gear and cannot change down.

Which is were we came in. I was talking about accleration *in any one gear*

How often do I have to say it?

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.