Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
Only an idiot would think it would.

I agree. So to make the car go the fastest, even though you can feel the
acceleration dropping off, it's still worth staying in the lower gear
past peak power. Ie aiming for peak power where possible, same as I've
been saying for quite a long time.

It's rather irrelevant, but with a decent set of ratios, you'd change up
around peak BHP and plonk things close to the peak torque in the next
higher gear. Unless you just like making a lot of noise and wasting fuel,
of course.

Unless you were way beyond the peak BHP in the low gear. Which few
engines would allow anyway.

Does it come as surprise to you that changing up results in less
torque at the rear wheels? And it's the maximum torque which produces
the best acceleration. ;-)

Funnily enough I've been arguing that for quite a long time...

Then why do you keep on mentioning BHP?

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.