Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On 31/03/16 19:03, Roger Mills wrote:
In articlea9ydnS6TQ4n_oWDLnZ2dnUU78XPNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
Clive wrote:
On 31/03/2016 15:39, bert wrote:

I did a little test with my Defender which has max torque at about
2000 rpm and max power at about 3500 rpm. Going up the gears and
accelerating as fast as I could I never got anywhere near max power in
any gear before I could feel the acceleration dropping off.

But did changing to a higher gear result in faster acceleration?

Only an idiot would think it would. Unless you were way beyond the peak
BHP in the low gear. Which few engines would allow anyway.

Does it come as surprise to you that changing up results in less
torque at
the rear wheels? And it's the maximum torque which produces the best
acceleration. ;-)

IN A GIVEN GEAR. I've come to the conclusion that you're trying to view
a 3-dimensional problem in 2 dimensions!

Leftybrain thinking is like that. Its the curse of the
almost-intelligent. Thinking you understand what you actually don't.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen