Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default The physics of cars - a question sequence.

On 31/03/2016 18:05, bert wrote:
In article , Clive
George writes
On 31/03/2016 15:39, bert wrote:

I did a little test with my Defender which has max torque at about 2000
rpm and max power at about 3500 rpm.
Going up the gears and accelerating as fast as I could I never got
anywhere near max power in any gear before I could feel the acceleration
dropping off.

But did changing to a higher gear result in faster acceleration?

Faster compared to what?

Compared to being in the lower gear.

(the answer I'd expect would be "no", hence even though you're feeling
the acceleration drop off, it's still worth staying in the lower gear
and using max power if you want to carry on accelerating as fast as
possible)