Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default boring through tile?

On Thursday, March 31, 2016 at 9:14:11 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:17:18 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 10:28:45 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:23:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 02:04:46 -0000 (UTC), Mike
wrote:

For the folks that asked, here are some pictures (I hope this works)
of the brick/tile. Also, these tiles are 5" thick.

Mike

http://imgur.com/TkSLKCg

http://imgur.com/Hb475uq

http://imgur.com/2C7ZelN

Thanks. It shouldn't be very difficult to use a bit to get through
those with a circular drill bit.. I can't imagine a cold chisel
would be needed. I'd guess the are fairly soft and not filled with
concrete.

BTW, use a long masonry bit to drill through the wall. It gives you an
alignment method so you can cut the hole from /on either side. So they
match up. And the pipe fits in horizontally and not angled.

If you don't have long masonry bit, a sharpened metal coat hanger will go
through many materials, including concrete block, wood most sidings, etc.

Everyone here except me keeps saying "bit". What he's talking about is
a 5" hole and in my world you call that a hole saw, not a bit. If he
wants to drill a series of small holes around the perimeter and chisel
it out, for that I would use a drill bit.

The point (no pun intended) of mentioning a "bit" by both Oren and I was
related to locating the hole on both sides of the wall, not for creating
the hole itself.

In many cases, a hole saw (and many other types of hole boring tools)
are not deep enough to bore the entire hole from one side of the material.

By using a long bit (or a coat hanger) you can create a starter hole on both
sides of the intended opening to ensure that when using the hole saw you end
up with single hole as opposed to 2 holes that don't line up.