Posted to rec.woodworking

Default flat bottom forstner bits

Darnist thing I saw was a Satellite tech do is drill through a metal
building with a high speed flat drill used for wood. I thought I'd see
metal snagging easy. Cut nice. I figure a toothed Forstner drill instead.

Martin

On 2016-03-30, Swingman wrote:
On 3/29/2016 12:57 PM, notbob wrote:
Things like forstner bits and hole saws should NOT be used with a hand
held drill motor. That I know, for a fact!

"FACT": know what you're talking before showing your ignorance.

I apologize fer applying my knowledge of metalworking to your world of
woodworking. I spoke too soon and spoke from having very little
real-world knowledge of woodworking. Obviously, they are not the same
and I was wrong. But, I am trying to learn. Patience, please.

As fer "showing ... ignorance", hey, I can stand proud with the best
of 'em.

nb

The problem is that your statement does not apply to metal working either.

You said:

"Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point
about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. "

I have used hole saws in a hand held drill to bore holes in metal countless
times. I even posted a video of a guy using a cordless drill to bore a hole
in a fairly thick piece of steel.

The only "fact" we can state is that not everything can be brought to
a drill press. Some work must be done on site regardless of whether
it's wood, metal, glass, plastic, whatever.