Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default boring through tile?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:43:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 6:34:12 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:26:02 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

+1 A hole saw the correct size is what I'd do. Trying to chip out
from a smaller hole is not only a lot more work, it may crack the tile.

A good rental shop should have a coring bit / tools to do a good job.
I've seen holes cored 16 inches through monolithic concrete pours for
steam pipes. Might be over kill for a 5" hole.

Another option if he doesn't care too much about what the edges look like
would be to drill a bunch of smaller holes spaced around the
circle, then crack it away between them with a small cold chisel.

When the OP says brick/tile, I'm curious if he means a faux brick
veneer. If this is red brick, even a few bricks could be removed to
get the pipe through and then cut bricks, fit and mortar them back
in.