Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Raspberry Pi Case

On 3/29/2016 10:43 AM, John McCoy wrote:
OFWW wrote in
:

Cheesecloth is too pores (SP) too soft/stretchy. Nylon's would be
better and have a sexy sound. (g) but the best would be a stiffer
cloth.

This sort of depends on how concerned you are with the sound
quality. A soft, porous cloth will attenuate the sound, and
affect the tone. If you want good acoustics, use a stiff cloth.
If you just want to keep debris out, use whatever's handy.

FWIW I have not ever witnessed this. Maybe a little if the cloth is
denser/thicker than the length of the sound waves and that is more if a
concern for higher notes where the sound is more directional. But I
used drapery material in from of my L?R and center speakers and you can
not tell if the material/door is open or closed.

If the speaker is going in a box the harder the wood the more it
reflects sound. Also drill a small hole for the back side of the
speaker to allow the diaphragm to fluctuate freely, you can tune the
speaker by the size of the hole.

This is important - not the tuning, but having some sort of
vent on the backside of the speaker. A speaker makes sound
by pushing air forwards and back, and if there's no way for
air to move behind the speaker, it's not going to move much
air in front either. Result - not much sound. (this is
assuming the box is smallish - a big box with small speakers
has enough volume inside it won't need a vent).

That is not true either. Long ago many speakers were built to be air
tight. Case in point many subwolfers use a driver speaker and a slave
speaker inside the same enclosure. The whole speaker assembly is
dependent on being air tight for the slave speaker to function and
produce sound.

And the speakers do not move enough to be hampered by air that easily
compressed or expands from the movement of the speaker. I have a
totally enclosed 12" subwolfer with no issues.

Also, since you have two speakers, make sure they are phased
correctly. If you connect them out of phase, they will cancel
each other, and again you get not much sound. This is more
of a problem with big bass speakers, but even with small ones
it's worth checking the plug is right way round.

John

Swingman would be the one to consult here, he has built, owned and
operated recording studios. He told me that the material would not
matter when covering my entertainment center doors with drapery
material, and you cannot tell the difference. My only concern was that
the weave was not so dense that IR light would not pass through. I
simply held the material up to a light to see if the light penetrated.