Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Flyback replacement on a historical arcade machine.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 8:51:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Shorted/leaky anode to ground (dag ground) was pretty common in 32" Sonys of a certain era. I am not sure exactly what happened to them, I know the Hstat block was built in but that is not likely to short, it would go open. (and they did not)

I am thinking some sort of problem with the glass or something. There is no path to ground except for the grounded aquadag. The ones I found shorted were still shorted when the CRT socket is removed, it was not an anode to cathode or whatever short, it had something to do with the dag.

Maybe a slight little blow hole in the glass, and a subsequent (after years) carbon track through there. And some of these CRTs tested good on a tester. Just the HV was a dead ****ing short.

You're right. I forgot about those earlier Trinis. I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 tops shorted in the second anode ( the ones that used the coaxial anode connector). Replace the SG613, damper diode, and 867A regulator with Sony factory parts, and they'd blow up in a split second. Still didn't damage the flyback. Later Trinitrons did not have this problem.