Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are copper fittings brighter than copper pipe?

On 3/27/2016 4:01 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 02:52:08 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 23:21:45 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 23:09:36 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:42:01 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...
Oh yea, WTF are you building? o_O

My guess is a moonshine still.

not with soldered joints I hope
Lead free silver solder.

Even lead free solder will give the whiskey a nasty wang. Stills are
usually solid copper with friction fittings.

Silver solder is used in commercial stills - along with brazing..
Pretty hard to make a "kettle" without soldering or brazing - an
expert can roll and beed the joi[When I did HVAC, we had lead free solder for water copper, such as replacing water heaters.]nts and get them ALMOST hooch-tite -
but any leak will cause the still to blow - so the outside of even a
well rolled seam will be soldered.

I really like glass for this but the size is somewhat limited. I have
used 5 gallon water bottles back when they were glass but you have to
be real careful bringing up the heat slowly and more importantly,
letting them cool down slowly. You can pour the mash out OK but let
them sit on a dry block of wood or something until they are just warm
to the touch before you load the next batch. I had a copper end cap
that was just a nice friction fit in the hole, inverted and a hole in
that for a 1/2" soft copper coil. I leaked a little but it worked. You
can cascade another one behind that for a "thumper" if you really want
to get sophisticated.
The stuff coming out of the thumper will burn in your lighter.

Center posted, as your reply was.
-
..
Christopher A. Young