Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Why are copper fittings brighter than copper pipe?

wrote in message
not with soldered joints I hope

Lead free silver solder.

Even lead free solder will give the whiskey a nasty wang. Stills are
usually solid copper with friction fittings.

There is drinking whiskey and selling whiskey. If selling, they do not care
about the lead that might come out of the solder.

About 30 years ago the wife and I was watching some show about moonshing and
they mentioned the lead solder. I told her that one day someone is going to
complain about the lead in the solder in the pipes in many of the houses in
the US. About 10 years later someone picked up on this.

Now with all the lead scare, many of the electronic devices are going to
last a few years and then quit because of the tin whiskers.