Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Defraggin LInux (was should DIY be a green cause)

On 25/03/16 21:20, Vir Campestris wrote:
Oh the joys of Linux, and no de fragging ever unless the disk is 100%
full

I've heard this said, and I never can work out how.

If I put 5000 files on my disk, and delete every alternate one, how can
it not be fragmented?

Well of course it is somewhat, but the point is that new files tend to
be written in the middle of the biggest free space, depending on the
actual disk format in use, so they tend to simply grow linearly.

Fragmentation isn't a file in a random place, its a file in dozens of
random places, so to get the entire contents takes many seeks.

http://www.howtogeek.com/115229/htg-...defragmenting/

Also the way Linux aggressively caches the disk, means that such
fragmentation as there is tends not to be such a performance hit.,

Mind, with SSDs who cares anyway?

Indeed.

Andy