Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default should DIY be a green cause

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:43:21 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 24/03/16 21:26, Chris French wrote:

Funny they should introduce automatic defragmentation in Windows 7
then ( if not before, can't remember now) which would rather seem to
defeat this cunning plan. It seems to work well enough as if I ever
check (rarely) one of my machines it seems to be only slightly
fragmented.

Oh the joys of Linux, and no de fragging ever unless the disk is 100%
full

Oh, I'm sure fragmentation afflicts *all* file systems, even *nix file
systems. It's just that the worst effects can be greatly mitigated (not
completely eradicated) by careful design of the writing algorithms used.

And, of course, optimised partitioning of disk space goes a long way to
mitigating fragmentation tendencies (even truer in MSFT file systems).
It's not for nothing that the standard partitioning scheme in *nix
systems included a (dedicated) SWAP partition feature as well as a fixed
size swap file option intended mainly to simplify partitioning reqirements
in multi-boot systems but, which now all too often, seems to be the
default in most modern distros' installation utilities aimed at
recruiting refugees from the MSFT camp.

--
Johnny B Good