Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Flyback replacement on a historical arcade machine.

On 03/24/2016 7:15 AM, Top Cat wrote:
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 1:57:13 PM UTC, frank wrote:
Top Cat wrote:
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 11:55:19 AM UTC, frank wrote:
Top Cat wrote:
Does the transformer smoke with the suction cup terminal hooked to the CRT?
Did you try to power the circuit with the HV terminal disconnected from the
CRT too?

Frank IZ8DWF

I've only tried it with it connected. Should I try it with it
out/not-connected? What difference will it make and what should I be
looking at when trying this? Cheers.

Shorted CRT, rare but it may happen. You would smoke also the next transformer
in that case.
If you don't know how to safely disconnect the HV cup (and how to safely
test the HV out of the transformer), leave it alone. It can
bite you!

Regards
Frank IZ8DWF

I've had it out and cleaned the cup etc, but didn't think to test it unconnected.

Why do you insist that the flyback is bad? Have you tested it with Bob
Parker's LOPT/Flyback ring tester? Or is it physically broken?

Bob's meter can be bought from us (read the assembly manual as that goes
over the theory):

http://www.flippers.com/catalog/prod...ng-tester-p-19

and others of course.

John :-#)#