Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default should DIY be a green cause

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

So what did you do.
I had to have pros in as I don't own scaffolding and
I doubt I could put it up by myself, otherwise the
scaffolding company wouldn;t be employing 3 people
to do it but would just employ one person wouldn't they ?

Just because its more efficient to have 3 people do it when
you are doing it professionally doesn't mean that you can't
do it yourself when you don't care about how long it takes.

Yes I know, but I didn't have the tools to do it

Cost a lot less to buy them than to pay someone else to do it all.

or the time.

Bull****.

There are a few things like pouring a massive great concrete
slab where it isnt possible for one person to do it themselves,
but there aren't that many of those situations with houses.

there are plenty where it's so much easity to have a 2nd pair of hands.

There aren't actually all that many. And one obvious approach
with those is to help a mate with those that are, and have him
help you with yours without that costing you a cent.

My ****ing great 8'x8' patio doors are just a little too big
and a little too heavy to do by yourself. Easy enough to get
the door out by yourself but they are just a bit too big and
heavy to get them back by yourself easily. So I get a mate
of mine who lives just around the corner to give me a hand
putting it back and help him with his computer problems.