Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default New poster/woodworker

On 3/22/2016 10:05 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2016-03-22, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/21/2016 9:23 PM, notbob wrote:

I finally looked up "locking rabbet" joint. Very interesting, but
will it work on 1/2" sides?

Absolutely!

Excellent!

I think you've made my choice, for me. I called our best
lumberyard/tool/cabinet shop and they sed they do not carry
pre-prepped sides in length, so I was looking for the joint which
would cost me the least in tools. So far, yer locking rabbet joint
looks to meet my criteria better than any other joint. So, thank you
for teaching me about a joint I was not even aware of.

Actually the was Swingman that pointed out the locking rabbet joint.

I mostly use this joint. It requires a sizeable investment for a
Festool Domino.

This is my Flickr account so you are probably safe in clicking. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

And FWIW I typically make drawers with 1/2" Baltic birch plywood.
Here before assembly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

After assembly but before the reinforcement Domino tenons added, as seen
an the above links.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I have a buddy, a master carpenter, who has a boatload of tools, so I
can barrow many from him. He definitely has a couple routers. Maybe
even a table. The stuff he definitely doesn't have, I'll purchase.
Today or tomorow, I'm buying the 1/4" size of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...90&cat=1,41504

....as I or my buddy have nary a decent chisel fer miles. Next month,
I plan on a 1/2" B&D Sweetheart sckt chisel.

I've got my late brother's chisel (1"), but couldn't understand why it
was essentially ruined, the front edge reduced to a jagged wreck. I
later overheard someone talking (youtube?) about how carpenters always
carry a chisel to cut framing nails.

Or open paint cans. ;~)