Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default New poster/woodworker

;~)
FWIW you can get tooooooo anal. I don't know how small you can measure
but anything finer than 1/128" gets confusing fast with the
inconsistencies of sheet goods and milled lumber.

I use a $35 digital caliper that shows thousandths", 1/128" and mm and
it is almost too detailed.

I am starting to see advantages of going strictly metric except for one
fact. Hardware is very often set up with metric lengths and sizes
however I cant tell you how many times I have seen metric instructions
indicating to measure fractions/hundredths of a millimeter.

A good example are full extension drawer slides. Almost everything
about them is in millimeters except their width, which is commonly 1/2".

Another funny one is Leigh Jigs. Directions to upgrade your current
older jig. The instructions on the last page on the below link ask that
you drill holes at 4.37mm and 3.57mm in diameter. Aside from that the
jig is metric, IIRC.

https://www.leighjigs.com/download/S...0Dec8%2015.pdf