Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New poster/woodworker

On 2016-03-21, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

notbob wrote in news:dl8cgkFlhsjU10

Right now, I'm running around trying to bum pipe clamps from my
neighbors.

A very cheap clamp is the humble wood screw. Naturally, it leaves a
woodscrew sized hole in whatever you're clamping. You just have to
allow for that and screw on the off-cut side.

Yes. The first joint I researched is the pocket-hole joint. I also
have a fiberboard face frame cross-piece (15"x1-5/8"x9/16") that
ripped out cuz the pkt-hls failed for the usual fiberboard reasons. I
kinda like the pkt-hl joint, but do NOT like the plastic tools Kreg
makes to do the job. Anyone have any experience with the all-metal HF
jig?

Our local cabinetry shop, which got me started down this seemingly
endless road, makes its drawer boxes with baltic birch (ply), using
biscuit joints. Is there a cheaper alternative to BB ply?

Speaking of pocket holes and biscuits, I used my Kreg jig to mock
up a 5/4" x 8" x 38" square frame for the pot rack I'm making. Once
it had SWMBO's approval, I took out the screws and used 4 biscuits
at each joint, clamping the frame while the glue dried. Just before
I walked away I looked down on the table and saw the screws lying
there. Then I looked at the pocket holes in the frame.

I paused, I hesitated, I tried to walk away. I just couldn't do it.
Back in went the screws. 4 biscuits and 2 pocket screws per joint.
The wall will come down before this thing falls apart. ;-)