Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default New poster/woodworker

On 2016-03-21, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

notbob wrote in news:dl8cgkFlhsjU10

Right now, I'm running around trying to bum pipe clamps from my
neighbors.

A very cheap clamp is the humble wood screw. Naturally, it leaves a
woodscrew sized hole in whatever you're clamping. You just have to
allow for that and screw on the off-cut side.

Yes. The first joint I researched is the pocket-hole joint. I also
have a fiberboard face frame cross-piece (15"x1-5/8"x9/16") that
ripped out cuz the pkt-hls failed for the usual fiberboard reasons. I
kinda like the pkt-hl joint, but do NOT like the plastic tools Kreg
makes to do the job. Anyone have any experience with the all-metal HF
jig?

Our local cabinetry shop, which got me started down this seemingly
endless road, makes its drawer boxes with baltic birch (ply), using
biscuit joints. Is there a cheaper alternative to BB ply?

I have to replace the drawers, one at a time. I figure I'll use 1/2"
b.birch fer the box and use a different joint (biz, box, dove, etc)
with each drawer, depending on which tools --and how many clamps!-- I
have access to, at that time. When I have the tools and knowledge,
I'll attempt the full face frame and countertop.

Now, I need to replace all the decayed rubber parts on my B&D
Workbench 225. Boy, did that thing ever fall apart, suddenly. Oh
yeah ....and replace those crappy fiberboard slats (work-top?) before
they go south!

nb