Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno is offline

Default For those with Fluke Handheld DVMs

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 01:17:54 -0400, ehsjr Gave us:

On 3/13/2016 11:58 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

I have 4 brand new DVMs and one uses a battery pack up in 3 days flat,
turned OFF! I did some net searching and found a forum where it was
discovered that Fluke put a cheap Toshiba supercap in the meter with a
less than 2 year lifespan and AT the same voltage they were charging it
to and everyone was seeing leaking.

I knew right away that was the cause of my problem. So I bought a
higher voltage, bigger supercap with nearly the same footprint and a
slightly higher profile, and stuck it in the BAD METER! and fixed that
pup. It takes minimal GRINDING (yes, I said grinding) to make it clear,
but it will last for years without leaking since it has a higher voltage
rating and the meter will hold the date longer if the batteries do die
down. They have been in it for two weeks and no depletion, so that
nailed the problem.

I photo-documented the whole process in case anyone else has a Fluke
DVM that eats batteries for breakfast like they are going out of style.
I would have made a video, but this works. Feel free to critique or
make good use of as you wish.

http://imgur.com/a/jPlow

Brilliant! Thanks.

I wish I had made a video, but all there is are the pics, so one has
to be a bit intuitive and look at the file names as well. I also put
metadata info into the file, but imgur may not take the files as they
get uploaded and my create their own versions sans metadata.

I like when I can hover over one of my Excel spreadsheets/workbooks
with my mouse and a wealth of info (which I inserted) about the file and
what it does appears before ever opening the file. The idiots at MS did
get a few things right.