Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default New poster/woodworker

On 3/14/2016 2:23 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:sJidndu9P9MzjnvLnZ2dnUU7-
:

I used to use that method making mouth blocks for Steve Knight 15 years
ago.. I was lowering a chunk of 2"x3.5"x 3/8" Ipe to make two parallel
3/8" x 1.5" slots. I literally did this thousands of times.
NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. I wished there was a faster and or better
way but the pieces were so small that was about my only option.

If I were doing that on a production basis, I think I'd
build a table with a horizontally mounted router and a
sliding sled to hold the workpiece. Slide the sled and
workpiece into the bit, then move the workpiece along the
sled's fence to make the groove.

Basically it was 200~300 slots at a time every 2~4 months for about 4
years and that was it. It actually went pretty quickly, 4~6 hours on
the slots for each run. But there was the resawing, planing, cutting to
width and length and cutting a 45 on one end. Tough on the fingers
holding that wood, 3 times harder than oak and the edges were sharp.

I've seen pictures of a rig like that used to make tenons
for chair slats.

John