Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Different defence mechanisms for different cold viruses?

On Friday, 11 March 2016 18:57:11 UTC, Phil L wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually
swelling my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems
paracetamol is helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or
"it will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

I take 1000mg of Vit C every day at the onset of a cold,

Complete waste of time.

Not really as it gets rid of the cold within a few days, rather than the
weeks that everyone else seem to have it.

it clears up within a day or two, i don't take anything to relieve
the symptoms which is all the 'cold remedies' are.

Yes. That's all they do. But relief from the symptoms is what you
need, most of the time.

The Vit C will give you the squits, though not in the running to the
bog vareity, just a bit loose, but who cares if it gets rid of the
cold...

It doesn't.

It helps the body fight it naturally, it works for me, doesn't work for
either of my brothers but works for one of my sisters and a few other people
i know, everyone's different and have different things going on inside them,
this is probably why there are dozens of different medicines for the same
ailments, not everyone responds to certain things and other things need to
be used in those cases.

Elderberry has also been shown in a study to reduce cold/flu virus survival. If you didn't have the foresight to freeze some elder pies you can get extract from H&B.

NT