Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Different defence mechanisms for different cold viruses?

I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling
my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or "it
will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2016 14:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling
my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or "it
will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

I know quite a lot of people that contracted a "cold" in October that
are still suffering from it. I caught it in December and I may have got
rid of it. Its just like a recurring cold and the bleeding from the nose
is one of the symptoms. Its not a cause for alarm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling my
vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or "it
will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

They always do go away unless its a well known killer and that one isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling
my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or
"it will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

I take 1000mg of Vit C every day at the onset of a cold, it clears up within
a day or two, i don't take anything to relieve the symptoms which is all the
'cold remedies' are.
The Vit C will give you the squits, though not in the running to the bog
vareity, just a bit loose, but who cares if it gets rid of the cold...I get
the effervesscent orange tablets in a tube, and I've had the same tube for
about 4 years. Each tab is about the diameter of a 50p coin and four times
as thick, which is just as well they're effervesscent really

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its a virus, not much anyone can do other than manage the symptoms.
The symptoms generally point to ward where the worst attack is, so nose
bleeds probably indicate its mostly nasal in nature.
The to use the only word I can spell, snot goes hard and attaches to the
inside of the nose and when you sneeze or blow your nose it tears itself
away and often takes hair and skin with it causing vessels to bleed that are
near the surface.
Not pleasant, I've been there.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling my
vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or "it
will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/16 21:07, Sam Plusnet wrote:

The Surgery waiting room is a splendid place to pick up a far more
interesting ailment.

True. It's avoided

Your Doctor can do nothing about your cold, so that seems a very poor
bet.

Walk-in Clinic? Same thing really.

Thanks all. Was a bit depressed yesterday.

Currently was aiming at fixing a leak on the bitumen roof but the leak
on my nose not helping so that job abandoned. It's double messy to pinch
a bloody nose with fingers covered in roof sealant

Laying low with decongestant

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually
swelling my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems
paracetamol is helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or
"it will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

I take 1000mg of Vit C every day at the onset of a cold,

Complete waste of time.

Not really as it gets rid of the cold within a few days, rather than the
weeks that everyone else seem to have it.

it clears up within a day or two, i don't take anything to relieve
the symptoms which is all the 'cold remedies' are.

Yes. That's all they do. But relief from the symptoms is what you
need, most of the time.

The Vit C will give you the squits, though not in the running to the
bog vareity, just a bit loose, but who cares if it gets rid of the
cold...

It doesn't.

It helps the body fight it naturally, it works for me, doesn't work for
either of my brothers but works for one of my sisters and a few other people
i know, everyone's different and have different things going on inside them,
this is probably why there are dozens of different medicines for the same
ailments, not everyone responds to certain things and other things need to
be used in those cases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 March 2016 18:57:11 UTC, Phil L wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

Elderberry has also been shown in a study to reduce cold/flu virus survival. If you didn't have the foresight to freeze some elder pies you can get extract from H&B.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually
swelling my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems
paracetamol is helping.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or
"it will go away?"

ATM I'm thinking/hoping the last ...

I take 1000mg of Vit C every day at the onset of a cold,

Complete waste of time.

Not really as it gets rid of the cold within a few days, rather than the
weeks that everyone else seem to have it.

It doesn’t actually. That's been studied using proper double
blind trials and it has no effect what so ever taken that late.

it clears up within a day or two, i don't take anything to relieve
the symptoms which is all the 'cold remedies' are.

Yes. That's all they do. But relief from the symptoms is what you
need, most of the time.

The Vit C will give you the squits, though not in the running to the
bog vareity, just a bit loose, but who cares if it gets rid of the
cold...

It doesn't.

It helps the body fight it naturally,

No it doesn’t.

it works for me,

Just the placebo effect.

doesn't work for either of my brothers but works for one of my sisters and
a few other people i know,

No it doesn’t.

everyone's different and have different things going on inside them,

And proper double blind trials show if it works for anyone. It doesn’t.

this is probably why there are dozens of different medicines for the same
ailments, not everyone responds to certain things and other things need to
be used in those cases.

But those that work for anyone can be shown to do that
with proper double blind trials. Vitamin C taken like that
doesn’t make any difference with anyone when you do a
proper double blind trial to prove whether it works for
anyone or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 March 2016 23:16:00 UTC, Sam Crean wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[...]

No it doesn't.

it works for me,

Just the placebo effect.

doesn't work for either of my brothers but works for one of my sisters and
a few other people i know,

No it doesn't.

everyone's different and have different things going on inside them,

And proper double blind trials show if it works for anyone. It doesn't.

this is probably why there are dozens of different medicines for the same
ailments, not everyone responds to certain things and other things need to
be used in those cases.

But those that work for anyone can be shown to do that
with proper double blind trials. Vitamin C taken like that
doesn't make any difference with anyone when you do a
proper double blind trial to prove whether it works for
anyone or not.

The trouble with double blind placebo controlled trials is that 95% of them give results that fail to be replicated when tested later, ie most such results are wrong.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 11 March 2016 23:16:00 UTC, Sam Crean wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Phil L
wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

[...]

That's a lie.

ie most such results are wrong.

Another lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 March 2016 18:24:46 UTC, Sam Crean wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 11 March 2016 23:16:00 UTC, Sam Crean wrote:

But those that work for anyone can be shown to do that
with proper double blind trials. Vitamin C taken like that
doesn't make any difference with anyone when you do a
proper double blind trial to prove whether it works for
anyone or not.

The trouble with double blind placebo controlled trials is that 95%
of them give results that fail to be replicated when tested later,

That's a lie.

ie most such results are wrong.

Another lie.

thank you for confirming it's correct. I note you felt the need to hide behind a sock puppet. Don't bother replying, I seldom read your witless blather.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 11 March 2016 23:16:00 UTC, Sam Crean wrote:

But those that work for anyone can be shown to do that
with proper double blind trials. Vitamin C taken like that
doesn't make any difference with anyone when you do a
proper double blind trial to prove whether it works for
anyone or not.

The trouble with double blind placebo controlled trials is that 95%
of them give results that fail to be replicated when tested later,

That's a lie.

ie most such results are wrong.

Another lie.

thank you for confirming it's correct. I note you felt the need to hide
behind a sock puppet. Don't bother replying, I seldom read your witless
blather.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
I've just acquired a seasonal cold that seems to be unusually swelling
my vessels in nostrils causing daily nose bleeds, seems paracetamol is
helping.

Colds can make lining of the nose sore, so it's not uncommon.
However, it's also worth checking your blood pressure, which can
also cause this, or make it worse.

Never noticed this before. Funny strain of cold.

Walk-in clinic (that's miles to drive), local GP (a week to see) or "it
will go away?"

Like everyone else said, no point.

Go and spend 30-60 mins in a really hot bath, with the bathroom extractor
turned off so the air is humid/steamy. Take a book or watch a film on
your phone to pass the time. If you do this at the first hint of a cold,
I find it can kill it before it takes hold, but it also helps even
once a cold has taken hold.

Cold viruses infect your nose because they prefer lower temperatures.
The hot steamy atmosphere does not suit them, so this can help your body
fight the virus. (This is also why your body raises it's temperature.)
This is a variation of breathing the steam from a bowl of very hot water
with a towel draped over your head that your grand parents did for a
cold.

Most of the cold symptoms are actually your body's way of fighting the
virus, and taking things to surpress them can make the cold last longer.
You choose if you want a bad cold for a couple of days, or a less bad
cold that hangs around for a couple of weeks.

On the plus side, around 2/3rds of colds are rhino virus, and a rhino
virus infection makes you immune to all rhino virus for a few weeks
afterwards (and the specific variant you caught for much longer).
However, 1/3rd of colds are caused by several other viruses, and you
can still catch those afterwards.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Viruses doccie Electronics Repair 4 April 12th 09 01:55 AM
How Tariq's ultimate defence associates, Eddie forces on top of fascinating, eager architectures. I. O. Kida Home Repair 0 December 10th 07 12:58 AM
OT - Trojan Horse and other Viruses Steve Home Repair 5 January 3rd 05 06:14 PM