Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Ungar 9911 soldering iron info?

On 11/03/2016 09:21, mike wrote:
On 3/11/2016 12:11 AM, N_Cook wrote:
On 11/03/2016 06:13, wrote:
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:16:45 AM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:
The problem with soldering iron control is putting a temp sensor in the
heater block , if you can get away with simple heater and replaceable
tips only, keeps the costs down (and swapping-out universality up , for
hacker types).
Ah so no manufacturer would want that. Another thing to try out
sometime
as a proving exercise.

Check out a Metcal. The heater element IS the temperature sensor. I've
been using one for 15 years and wouldn't have anything else.

I was aware of them , when they first came out. Just checked the price
of them and they will stay in the suppliers.
My magnastat came from the one-time Ferguson site at Gosport , with 1986
melted into the plastic by "Jane" on the production line.
I've worked out a simple way of making my own magnastat tips and if the
element failed, have a reasonable chance of making my own heater
(assuming by then replacement heaters will be unavailable).

I'd like to hear more about how you make the magnastat tips.

I'd have to agree about Metcal. Best I ever used.
I picked up a big handful of tips at a swapmeet.
If I ever find a free Metcal station to plug them into, I'm in business.
I thought about using a ham radio transmitter, but that seemed like
overkill.

details on one of the tips (in other sense) files off
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm