Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Ungar 9911 soldering iron info?

On 11/03/2016 06:13, wrote:
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:16:45 AM UTC-8, N_Cook wrote:
The problem with soldering iron control is putting a temp sensor in the
heater block , if you can get away with simple heater and replaceable
tips only, keeps the costs down (and swapping-out universality up , for
hacker types).
Ah so no manufacturer would want that. Another thing to try out sometime
as a proving exercise.

Check out a Metcal. The heater element IS the temperature sensor. I've been using one for 15 years and wouldn't have anything else.

I was aware of them , when they first came out. Just checked the price
of them and they will stay in the suppliers.
My magnastat came from the one-time Ferguson site at Gosport , with 1986
melted into the plastic by "Jane" on the production line.
I've worked out a simple way of making my own magnastat tips and if the
element failed, have a reasonable chance of making my own heater
(assuming by then replacement heaters will be unavailable).