Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I use this jig borer as a milling machine?

"Ignoramus26799" wrote in
message ...
I bought this borer just to part it out and scrap. It weighs 28,500
lbs.

However, when I looked at it in person today, with my guy, it was so
unbelievably nice, I hate the thought of scrapping it. It has a DRO
and retaining nut for spindle collets.

So, a thought creeped into my mind, that perhaps I can set it up at
my
shop and just use it for all manual milling or drilling. The usual
shop maintenance and repairs and whatever we do.

So, it can do milling, right?

I do rough milling mainly by downfeeding since I can regrind the ends
of high quality used endmills more easily than the sides, and
sharpening only the end doesn't change the diameter.
http://www.amazon.com/TTC-End-Mill-G.../dp/B006MHSNAE
On my 700 lb mill it's about as fast as milling sideways because the
vertical cut creates less vibration.

Then I finish to width with light cuts that don't wear the sides of
the endmill much.

Perhaps you could use the jig borer that way to minimize side loading
on its spindle bearings.

--jsw