Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On 10/03/2016 16:35, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:08:30 -0500,
wrote:

Forgot the picture

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:21:07 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

which are the less common type and only required in certain applications.

Of course that's the type I'm talking about, hence me referring to 30mA, not 15A. In the UK, the whole house is protected by such things, why wouldn't it be? This is why I use fuses.

You folks are talking apples, oranges and pomegranates

In UK, Oz and NZ they have an RCD that looks for ground faults in the
range of 30ma and disconnect the whole panel.
This is a typical NZ panel.
The red breaker is the main, the blue the RCD and the rest are branch
circuit breakers.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...el%20board.jpg

In the US we only protect single branch circuits or individual loads
with a GFCI but that is at 5ma.
When we see 30ma protection, it is called "ground fault protection for
equipment" because we think 30ma is too high to protect people.
One thing you must keep in mind is 5ma might not kill you but it can
still cause you to fall off the ladder.

Then use battery or petrol driven tools up a ladder.

--
Bod

---