Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:52:19 -0000, Mr Macaw wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:35:32 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:08:30 -0500, wrote:

Forgot the picture

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:21:07 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

which are the less common type and only required in certain applications.

Of course that's the type I'm talking about, hence me referring to 30mA, not 15A. In the UK, the whole house is protected by such things, why wouldn't it be? This is why I use fuses.

You folks are talking apples, oranges and pomegranates

In UK, Oz and NZ they have an RCD that looks for ground faults in the
range of 30ma and disconnect the whole panel.
This is a typical NZ panel.
The red breaker is the main, the blue the RCD and the rest are branch
circuit breakers.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...el%20board.jpg

The ones I've seen don't have the superfluous red one. The blue one is used to switch everything off, aswell as interrupt if there's 30mA to earth. They've started putting in more than one blue one, hence you don't cut the whole house off when someone gets a shock, eg. you don't get put in the dark when you get a shock.

Forgot to mention, non-cheapskates get combined current limit breakers and earth leakage breakers, so every circuit has its own protection for both.

--
A. Top posters.
Q. What's the most annoying thing on newsgroups?