Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Greasing up switches and connectors?

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:09:49 +1100, Chris Jones
wrote:

This stuff is for putting on contacts:
http://www.electrolube.com/products/...ct_lubricants/

Link for the USA:
http://www.electrolube.org/products/contact-lubricants.html

The web page says it's for putting on contacts but offers no
explanation of how it works or what's in it. The MSDS pages say
"contact the factory". At least that TDS is available. Picking one
version (CO70 oil) at random:
http://www.electrolube.com/core/components/products/tds/044/CO70.pdf
I see that the active ingredients are a "Blend of synthetic fluids",
which is a rather useless description. I guess you'll just have to
rely on the word of the manufactory that the contact oils and greases
actually do something in an unspecified manner.

If it is in a dusty environment, it would be a good idea to seal out the
dust from the switch or connector.

That's always a good idea. I used to maintain the processes
controllers at a canning plant. If any kind of dust or aerosol got
into the contacts, the switching current would burn the solids to a
crisp. Eventually, that would produce a layer of insulating carbon.
We eventually pressurized and locked the NEMA enclosures, which ended
that problem (and others).

I believe that modern automotive
connectors tend to be sealed with o-rings or similar.

Probably true. Lets see what they look like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+connectors&tbm=isch
Oddly, I don't see any visible o-rings, but they might be hidden
inside the connector. There also seem to be a few molded rubber
seals.

I would not use silicone grease, oil or gel near anything electrical
with relays etc. for the reasons that Tauno Voipio explained in the
S.E.D. version of this thread.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/j4LskBMCJ7w/Rbjrl1LAIQAJ
If you have an army of assemblers using silicone bearing hair spray in
close proximity to your switch contacts, you should switch them all to
Brylcreem, also known as the "greasy kid stuff", which is based on
mineral oil and bees wax.
https://kitsadnauseam.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/greasy-kid-stuff-the-brand-that-viral-marketing-built/

--
Jeff Liebermann