Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Greasing up switches and connectors?

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 13:05:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 9:11:03 PM UTC-8, DaveC wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Dielectric means "insulator" in this case, which is not exactly what I
would want in an RF connector.

Jeff, I think he means he uses it under the boot, not inside the connector...

Dave

I actually put it directly on the center conductor after the connector is attached and then screw it on the fitting. While the grease is an 'insulator', the metal parts touch and the grease prevents moisture getting to the wire. I did not put any grease on the rubber boot except for any residue that was on the outside of the connector.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm
"Besides being used to seal rubber covers on electrical
connections, dielectric grease also prevents corrosion
when applied directly to metal connectors. Though it
works well for this purpose, it can sometimes cause a
connection to stop working if not all of the grease is
pushed out of the way between the points of contact
inside the connector."

Wiping off silicone grease from a connector pin is difficult, messy,
and requires solvents. If you read other articles on the electrical
uses for dielectric grease, you'll find that they all discuss how it
is applied to everything EXCEPT the conductors. For example:

http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generation-specific-1986-1992-17/fyi-about-dielectric-grease-electrical-components-979955/#post10895971
"one thing people have tried is dielectric grease on various
electrical component connections. this is NOT a good idea!
dielectric grease or "tune up grease" as you may find in auto
parts stores is ONLY meant for high voltage connections such
as spark plug wires, that is about the only place it belongs
on a car.

using it on electrical connections, eventually you may as well
pitch the harness into the garbage.. it's almost impossible to
get the stuff out once it's in there, dielectric grease does
not conduct electricity very well and will in fact cause
resistance issues and eventually failed connections."

etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558