Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 8:22:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 16:37:37 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 7:04:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 16:12:50 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 09:12:14 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 10:00:21 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 07:25:01 -0000, Micky wrote:

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 14:50:19 -0500, wrote:

Over here in the colonies we take that 240v and center tap the
transformer so both ungrounded legs are 120v above ground. That still
gives us the ability to use 240v equipment but most ends up being
120v. I suppose we can blame Thomas Edison for that. He started a fear
campaign against Nick Tesla over AC current, Edison wanted DC and he
said AC was more deadly, to the point of electrocuting an elephant
along with more than a few condemned prisoners ... all with AC.
When he lost the war, the deadly part still stuck and the belief was
that 120 would be safer, still leaving the option of having 240v
equipment.

I thought 240 was indeed more deadly than 120 and that more people
died of shocks, per capita, in the UK than here. How could 240 not
be more deadly than 120?

Isn't it the case that if either of them goes through your heart it can kill you? Anything over 80 volts or something like that is all the same.

The only difference is that much higher voltages can burn your skin, or jump across gaps where you least expect it. But that's kV.

--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

It's the current that kills. Not sure on the numbers, but maybe on
the order of 30ma and above can effect the heart rhythm. The human
body has some resistance, X. If you put 240V across that, you're going
to get 2x the current as you do with 120V. But.... That's really a
red herring the way the system works here. To get 240V you'd have to
be across both hot wires, which is extremely unlikely. Most common

You're thinking about the USA.

Mr. Macaw just posted that the two wires coming into his home in the
UK were 240 and 0.

The comparison I had made was between the UK and the USA, and I said I
thought more people died of shocks, per capita, in the UK than the
USA.

is for you to connect between one hot wire and ground, like standing
in water, touching an appliance case, faucet, etc. In that case
you'd still only get 120V. Between each hot and ground you have 120V.
Not sure how it works over there.
That would definitely be true if all Britts had as little regard for
code, the rule of law and safe electrical practices as Macaw does.

The Birdman is an idiot. Just reading some of the stuff he says in this
thread should make me laugh, but it's just so, so sad.

There are a lot of "bodgers" in the UK - and the competency of many of
them leaves a whole lot to be desired. In the UK, Mc Guyver would be
an absolute genius.

I only see the idiot's posts when someone replies to him.
He's definitely a barmy git who's totally lost the plot, as they say
- and as daft as a bush to boot. - a real wazzock fer sure.

At the rate you're blocking people, pretty soon you'll just be
talking to yourself. Which helps explain why you're wrong so often.
You just listen to yourself.