Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 8:14:52 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/6/2016 6:43 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:52:58 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Why do you think you need to move anything?

CY: Because at least one outlet shows open ground.

Which is an outlet wiring problem. The tester is checing the
connection between neutral and ground. Y&our ground wire is loose,
disconnected, or broken on the circuit to that outlet. NO chance
moving the ground would solve that problem.

Seeing the ground bar not appear to connect
to a ground wire... makes me wonder if the
ground bar is isolated, and therefore not
effective.

Reading through your description again, that's possible. From what you
posted, the neutral is tied to earth ground at the panel, or appears to
be anyway. The ground bar is a separate bar, but should be tied to the
neutral bar. How that is done probably varies from panel to panel
and it's optional, because in a subpanel, they are kept separate.